Thursday, April 10, 2008

Greetings


I am a homebirth midwife in the state of Kansas. Also know as "The Freestate". I am entering the blogoshere in order to network and discuss and meet the many people in the homebirthing community. I have enjoyed reading a few homebirth blogs every once in a while. As I am a busy homeschooling mother of 3 and a midwife, my blogging time is limited. I look forward to connecting with more folks through birth talk.
Here is a poem that stretches across time, across birthing ideology, across all barriers. It is a gem of a poem by Carl Sandburg.

Being Born Is Important

Being born is important
You who have stood at the bedposts
and seen a mother on her high harvest day,
the day of the most golden of harvest moons for her.

You who have seen the new wet child
dried behind the ears,
swaddled in soft fresh garments,
pursing its lips and sending a groping mouth
toward the nipples where white milk is ready~

You who have seen this love's payday
of wild toil and sweet agonizing~

You know being born is important.
You know nothing else was ever so important to you.
You understand the payday of love is so old,
So involved, so traced with the circles of the moon,
So cunning with the secrets of the salts of the blood~
It must be older than the moon, older than the salt.

~Carl Sandburg




7 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi there, welcome to the very small midwifery blogging world. Hope you catch the blogging bug as well. Any queries, please feel free to ask, cheers Sarah

midwife of the plains said...

Thank you for the welcome. I am slowly entering this blogging world. Do you attend homebirths? From your blog it seems you are a busy woman.

Lisa Barrett said...

Hi There midwife of the plains. Blogging is addictive if you ask me. Love your pictures.

midwife of the plains said...

Yes, blogging is addictive. I am still a bit blog shy, but will get over it. I love those pictures too. And am so appreciative of the families who are comfortable sharing their their sacred birth images on my blog. There will be more to come. I love the pics on your blog also.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the Carl Sandburg poem. Though I've yet to see all those things, I am compelled toward birth tango with a strange awareness of its heroic and ancient importance, and the poem is a welcome reminder as I find myself studying acronyms for complications, still up as the morning news comes on the radio...

midwife of the plains said...

Yes Maggie, that is the tricky thing about researching and studying midwifery~ keeping intact the reverence, trust and holiness of birth while learning about potential complications, what to do and what NOT to do. Thank you for checking out my blog. What do think about the pictures?
Love
Brenda

tie-dyed doula said...

Hi there again! i am going to reference the poem and your blog on my blog-if you mind, please shoot me an email to ssealing@cfaith.com